Sunday, October 19, 2014

Do It Yourself Lipstick Display


 Why not do it yourself?! That is the question that I always ask myself when I'm purchasing something or considering paying someone to do something that I can do for myself. I absolutely love YouTube and all of the bright innovative things that users create and share with the world to make things easier on everyone. I cannot take credit for this idea due to me watching a YouTube video and mirroring, step-by-step, the instructions. I switched it up from the other tutorials that I watched by decorating the display to give it more character and POP. Doing a YouTube and Google search was motivated by me researching lipstick "holders" which costed about 10-40 dollars which I thought was stupid overpriced. It was overpriced in my eyes because these holders held no more than 12-24 lipsticks. Clearly, I have triple the amount of lipsticks and needed something that would hold each of them without breaking the darn bank! 




I went to my local Dollar store and purchased 3 7-day pill boxes that had 4 doses for each day. One bill box has 24 squares, which is good to hold several lipsticks. The first step is to cut the edges off the pill box that says each day of the week. Be sure to cut very carefully. Next, You want to cut the tops off of each dosage square. Be sure to be gentle with your scissor work on this step as well. Once each square is relieved of it's top, go through to make sure that the cut work is clean, ensuring that there are no sharp plastic edges that may appear sharp or tacky. The picture to the right shows the squares that have the tops cut off completely. To the right of those two columns, are the squares that have yet to get their tops cut off.   Finally, You can decorate your holder however way or design you wish. Just keep in mind that you want to disguise what it really is, a pill box. After you finish decorating the topless pill boxes, you are ready to begin placing your lipsticks in each open square. It is very simple and straight forward. Now you have a lipstick display for less than dollars which is extremely clutch. The first picture is what I was using before before i made my own display with the pill box. That was difficult to use because I would forget that I bought new lipsticks or that there are other colors and brands that I have not tried yet. This display literally makes it 10 times better to stay on track with all of the variety that I have and making sure I use every color once in awhile and it let me knows what I have and want and indicates whether or not something is out of stock. Tip: Make sure that you use a good pair of sharp scissors to make cutting and trimming the pill  box down more easier and seamless.. That is all there is to it. Have fun and DO IT YOURSELF!!!

No comments: