Friday, October 17, 2014

Behind My Addiction



The funny thing about life is that everything changes and nothing is truly definite! When I was a teenager, which feels and seems like sooooooo very long ago, I hated the thought of lipsticks & thought that they were for "old ladies". I never dreamed that I would wear it & be so in love with the colors & the way that my lips look with the variety of pigmented shades.I began my curiosity about 3 years ago when Keri Hilson released her "No Boys Allowed" album. On the cover of her album she was wearing a hot pink lipstick that jumped off of the cover & drew me in more. When I saw that, I thought to myself oooooooh that hot pink is to die for!!!! So, I went out & searched for a beautiful hot pink color. I found it when I went to Walmart! It was either NYC or Wet N' Wild brand, which was ridiculously inexpensive, it was less than $2. Often times, if something is priced inexpensive, it is labeled as being cheap for a reason. Old saying goes, you get what you pay for! Well, in the case of the lipstick I first purchased, it was worth more than what it was priced! In fact, I felt as though I should've been convicted of a crime for getting away with purchasing an amazing quality lipstick for such a low price! I'm not talking about a cheap beauty supply store $1 lipstick that poorly covers lips. Keep that in mind. After I purchased the lipstick, I went home immediately to try it on & take a few pics rocking it. When I began applying the color to my lips, instantly fell in love! The color was bright & an exact dupe of Keri Hilson's hot pink lip worn on her album cover. It went on smooth & was very well pigmented. From that day forward, I began a small collection of lipsticks which were mainly pinks, reds, & browns. Then, I expanded my collection to include shades of orange & purple. I recently, became more open minded & scored on a black lipstick from Wet N' Wild's Fergie collection called 'Pagan Angel'. I do not discriminate on lipsticks. If it is beautiful & great quality, I will buy it. I started off my lipstick collection & experiences with silk finish lipsticks, then I slowly eased into matte finished lipsticks. Those two are complete different. (I will be doing a separate blog about Matte vs. silk/butter finish. It will include picture comparisons for visual purposes)
I'm not a lip queen who only purchases MAC & other higher end lipsticks! I am diverse. You cannot call yourself the queen of lipstick if you are not willing to try other brands. It is good to have a favorite brand, that's normal, but you have to be willing to open your horizons. This is especially if you are doing tutorials or giving reviews on products. My three brands are NYX, Wet N' Wild, & Melt.


My collection is currently composed of:

NYX (Matte, Butter, & Round Standard Lippies), Melt, Wet N' Wild (Matte Megalast, Silk Finish, Balm Stains & Fergie Collection), CoverGirl, Maybelline, Revlon, L'oreal, Milani, Black Radiance, & L.A. Colors.
I will be opening my collection more this season with MAC, Essence, Iman, etc. I will also venture off into more unconventional colors such as blue, green, & other neon colors.
Stay tuned for lipstick reviews in swatches!!!!! I am working on a project to swatch every lipstick, lipstain, & lip balm that I have. Of course, this project may take a week or so.
Wish me & my lips a good luck on that!!

No comments: